NAVIDAD EN EL VIEJO SAN AGUSTÍN / CHRISTMAS IN OLD ST. AUGUSTINE on Saturday, December 15, 2012
On Saturday, December 15th, the second, annual Navidad en el Viejo San Agustín (Christmas in Old St. Augustine) heritage Event will take place in St. Augustine, Florida, the oldest, continually occupied European city, port, and parish in the continental United States!
The Adoration of the Three Kings
Featuring the Christmas customs and music of 16th-century Florida, Navidad en el Viejo San Agustín is hosted by
Florida Living History, Inc. (FLH – www.floridalivinghistory.org ) and Mission Nombre de Dios (
www.missionandshrine.org ). Presented by FLH’s member groups – Alondra: Interpreting the Music of Colonial
Florida (c. 1565 – 1821); La Compañía de Santiago (c. 1565); Los Compañeros de la Cocina (c. 1513-1704); and
Theater with a Mission – this living-history Event will take place at Mission Nombre de Dios – 27 Ocean Avenue, St.
Augustine, FL 32084. This holiday, heritage celebration will include:
- living historians in period garb, representing the citizens of 16th-century San Agustín de la Florida;
- Las Posadas – a 500-year-old colonial Spanish Christmas tradition, this procession for children of all ages reenacts
Mary and Joseph’s search for lodgings in Bethlehem on the first Christmas Eve;
- colonial Spanish musical entertainment;
- a performance of El Auto de los Reyes Magos (“The Play of the Three Wise Kings”), the oldest-known
Spanish play, which follows the Magi on their journey to Bethlehem, to welcome the new-born Messiah;
- samples of colonial Spanish holiday treats (available for purchase);
- a traditional Spanish belén, or Nativity scene, constructed by Elizabeth Duran Gessner, featuring hand-made scenery and structures, as well as over 200 figures, all imported from Spain;
- all presented by torch and candlelight on the grounds of historic Mission of Nombre de Dios and Shrine of
Our Lady of La Leche, on the shores of beautiful Matanzas Bay.
Navidad will take place from 6PM to 9PM. Admission to this Event is free of charge to the public.
This heritage Event is sponsored by Florida Living History, Inc., ( www.floridalivinghistory.org ) and by Mission
Nombre de Dios ( www.missionandshrine.org/ ). Support is provided, in part, by NTE Energy, LLC, and by the
Florida Humanities Council. For more information on Florida Living History, Inc., please contact us at
email@example.com or, toll-free, at 1-877-FLA-HIST (1-877-352-4478)!