Marla Mase – SPEAK (Album Review), upcoming events and more
Hey All,Update on what’s been going on in the world of Mase — first off I hope you are enjoying this beautiful spring — I know it’s been a bit strange, but I can’t help but love the sunshine. I don’t know about you, but it is an absolute necessity in my life.
Marla Mase – SPEAK
Written by Louise Ungless. Posted on March 25, 2012
Marla Mase – SPEAK. By Sarah Betts.
Marla Mase is a name that resonates with almost everyone who has come in contact with her creativity. Her fans who have experienced her live performances and recorded music, refer to her as The Goddess. Her talents travel every avenue of creativity; she is a writer of poems, songs, shows, and erotica, most of all she is a confident and brave performer, effortlessly fusing the genres of rock, punk, spoken word and soul, creating a genre of her own.
Marla shook up the music and theatre world with her 2010 Rock Opera release A Brief Night Out, a raw, honest and inventive journey through one woman’s midlife awakening, Marla was at once hailed as a new hope and direction for music.
Marla’s second album SPEAK enters this arena; facing of the high hopes of her legions of followers who see her as their Goddess, she does not let them down. The album slips smoothly into gear with the electrifying opening track ‘Lioness’, the power of her spoken word evokes a story of the most primal of women. ‘Divine Restlessness’, a quiet breathy track brings a softness to the album as Marla weaves gentle vocals along side the musical accompaniment by The Tomás Doncker Band. It becomes clear by the fifth track on the album ‘Queen of Imperfection’; a loud and passionate song that Marla is presenting art for others to view rather creating mood music that could simply play in the background ; it demands to be heard. The most interesting track on the album ‘New Cell Phone’ sees Marla delve fully into the world of spoken word, exploring the experience of change. She narrates her story with controlled excitement, her poetic ability creating new and interesting visual images in the mind of the listener. It is within this song that she shows her greatest strengths; bravery and an ability to always stay in control of her music. The album ends with a strong punk inspired track called ‘Squirm’ that nicely fuses the freedom of jazz with the joy of Rock and Roll.
Marla Mase remains on top with this her second album, it is a musical creation that will intrigue and possibly enlighten those who have not yet experienced music as art and will delight those who already worship their musical Goddess.
Marla Mase Update [Some great stuff happening]:
- NEW TUNE AnnaRexia, a reggae tune featuring Hawk from Bill Laswell’s Method of Defiance and Tomás Doncker Band — it is a project (and yes it is a project) very important to me. This disease has struck my family personally and as an artist I am committed to pushing the envelope when the envelope needs pushing and boy does it need pushing when it comes to the messages being put out there day in and day out. I think it’s time to say No. WE WANT SOMETHING DIFFERENT. Up till now I’ve been keeping the song under wraps but I want you all to hear it and if so inclined please spread the awareness. http://soundcloud.com/marlamase/annarexia-master
- AnnaRexia has been previewed on a few stations in the UK by very generous DJ’s Coral Rose and Brian Player. It was first debuted with the fabulous Cyrus Webb on Conversations Live during National Eating Disorders Week and it was because of this interview that Coral Rose in the UK decided to put together her own Eating Disorder Special where she will play tunes in re to the subject including Anna Rexia and my daughter’s first record, ‘The Good Fight’-–will keep you posted on that one. Link to Cyrus Webb article: http://conversationsmag.blogspot.com
- Working on doing The AnnaRexia video (if you have any ideas I’m open to suggestions)
- Interview I did with Coral Rose - http://www.coralroseradio.co.uk/marla-mase.php
- My song Lily Pad was featured in a folk/acoustic radio show in the UK; Queen of Imperfection also featured on a radio show in the UK – I am very grateful.
- I am thrilled to announce that I’m developing a new show based on the songs from my album SPEAK (as well as some new tunes) — it’s already underway and I expect to put up a version of it very soon – May/June. Will let you know ASAP.
A Brief Night Out is currently looking for a home — if you know of one feel free to contact me–Upcoming GIG — Thursday, June 14 at 11pm at Arlene’s Grocery,
Link for tickets: http://www.turnstylemusicgroup.com/event/106807/
It’s a while from now but save the date and your energy — it’s going to be a special one!!
Much much love,
peace passion imperfection
T.E.A.M Work Marketing / Brooklyn, New York