4 c smashed potatoes (already mixed with butter, buttermilk, cream, whatever you like)
3 c green beans
3 c shredded turkey (white and dark meat)
2 c stuffing
¾ c cranberry sauce
¾ c onion relish
1 c gravy
6 sheets phyllo pastry, defrosted (keep covered with kitchen towel to prevent drying out)
3 T butter
1 ½ c shredded gruyere cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- In a lightly greased 10×14 casserole, layer first the smashed potatoes, then cover with a layer of green beans (Since my green beans are made with pecans, there is a nice extra bit of caramelized-crunchiness added to the dish).
- Next spread the shredded turkey over the green beans, and the stuffing over that. Evenly spread spoonfuls of the cranberry sauce and onion relish over the top of the stuffing. Pour gravy over that.
- Place one sheet of phyllo over the top of the dish and tuck in the edges. Brush with melted butter. Repeat with 2 additional sheets phyllo.
- Spread cheese over the phyllo and sprinkle with a fine dusting of nutmeg.
- Finish covering dish with last three sheets of phyllo brushed with butter. Top with cinnamon. Bake for 25 minutes or until phyllo is lightly browned and the scent of the pie is making you crazy with hunger. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle a fine dusting of powdered sugar over the top and enjoy!
About the Author
Ruby Dee is a singer and songwriter whose latest release “Live From Austin Texas” earned her rockabilly-roots band Ruby Dee and the Snakehandlers a Grammy consideration for Best Americana Album in 2011. Her cookbook “Ruby’s Juke Joint Americana Cookbook” shares 120 of Ruby’s original recipes, and includes a CD of music to cook by. For more information on Ruby’s Juke Joint Americana Cookbook, to listen to Ruby’s Kitchen Radio Show or to contact the author, go to www.rubysjukejoint.com and of course Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Rubys-Juke-Joint-Americana-Cookbook/183336818364780 and Twitter at @rubysjukejoint.