Paul Davis provides spring storm safety tips to help prevent water and fire damage.
The weather in springtime can be severe. Property owners should safeguard their families, homes and businesses from the potential disaster that can occur from tornadoes, lightening, thunderstorms, and flooding. Paul Davis Restoration of St. Augustine, a leading provider of water damage cleanup and fire damage restoration services for residential and commercial properties, offers the following safety tips to protect loved ones and property.
According to John and Jack Buening, have a disaster plan and emergency kit in place, establish a location in the house to meet, and know the nearest designated storm shelter if you have to evacuate.
The Basic Emergency Kit should include:
- Water – one gallon of water per person and pets per day for at least three days.
- Food – at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food for adults, children and pets, along with a can opener.
- Battery-powered or hand crank commercial radio and a NOAA Weather Radio.
- Cell Phone with charger.
- First aid kit – sterile dressings; antibiotic ointment; scissors; thermometer; non-prescription drugs such as pain relievers; prescription medications and supplies.
- Copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in waterproof container.
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person.
- Fire extinguisher
Below are some valuable tips for protecting your property from severe weather.
- Clear yard of loose articles and debris. Keep yard tools, patio furniture, grills, garbage cans and toys stored when not in use.
- Trim trees and shrubs to prevent branches from breaking off during high winds.
- Inspect your roof and repair any loose shingles to prevent leakage from water and winds, and remove debris.
- Repair siding, awnings, gutters, downspouts and brackets if loose or damaged.
- Secure major appliances to the wall studs or foundation of your home using “L” brackets.
Contact a licensed professional or restoration and emergency services company if damage to your home or business is significant. Qualified technicians are certified from The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). For more information, visit the local Paul Davis office website at www.pdrestoration.com.
Paul Davis Restoration, Inc., a subsidiary of FirstService Corporation (NASDAQ: FSRV; TSX: FSV), is a national franchisor and leading provider of restoration services for residential and commercial properties since 1966. Paul Davis Restoration also provides advanced mold cleanup services and has franchise locations throughout North America with owners and technicians who are certified by The Clean Trust. For more information, visit the website at www.pdrestoration.com.