8 pieces chicken- legs, breasts, thighs
½ c apple juice
½ c balsamic vinegar
12 dried figs
½ c orange juice
S&P to taste
2 red onions, cut into 6 wedges each
- In a small saucepan, combine apple juice and balsamic vinegar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to ¼ cup, about 5 minutes. Pour into glass measuring cup and allow to cool.
- Place red onion wedges onto prepared (oiled) grill, cut side down and grill on medium heat, turning the wedges as the onion begins to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine dried figs and orange juice. Bring to boil then reduce heat and stir until figs have softened, about 4 minutes.
- Pat chicken pieces dry and S&P to taste. Brush glaze onto chicken, and place on prepared grill beside the onions over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 7-8 minutes each side. Make sure to brush both sides of the chicken with the glaze as you turn the chicken pieces over.
- As soon as you have the chicken on the grill, cut the figs in half lengthwise, and add to the grill, cut side down. Allow chicken, onion and figs to cook until the chicken has cooked through, and the onions and figs have a nice slightly caramelized finish to them. Remove chicken from the grill when done and tent loosely with aluminum foil for a few minutes.
- For additional sauce, add any remaining fig-orange juices to any remaining glaze Stir over low heat until they have combined, and serve alongside the chicken, onions and figs.
About the Author
Ruby Dee is a singer and songwriter whose latest release “Live From Austin Texas” earned her rockabilly-roots band Ruby Dee and the Snakehandlers a Grammy consideration for Best Americana Album in 2011. Her cookbook “Ruby’s Juke Joint Americana Cookbook” shares 120 of Ruby’s original recipes, and includes a CD of music to cook by. For more information on Ruby’s Juke Joint Americana Cookbook, to listen to Ruby’s Kitchen Radio Show or to contact the author, go to www.rubysjukejoint.com and of course Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Rubys-Juke-Joint-Americana-Cookbook/183336818364780 and Twitter at @rubysjukejoint.